Saturday, August 6, 2011

WIP Kimono

Got this komon from shinei for some 14 dollars. Shinei showed pics of some staining in the middle of the back; it didn't look too bad and I REALLY wanted it for the chidori motive; told Pol-chan that I had nothing with chidori on it, and she kindly reminded me of the chocolate houmongi with chidori along the hem. Duh.
Unfortunately there were also a number of holes in the sleeves and areas of very weak fabric. Still, I took off the sleeves and the opened the side seems to pull out some extra width, and started to try a few things to remove the stains, which I found more of in the extra sleeve length I found tucked up inside, along with more holes. After a number of less than useful results with washing, I tried oxyclean. Supposedly color safe, it turned the once maroon fabric into this cranberry pink. There wasn't really much choice but to follow through and 'wash' the rest of the fabric. Amazingly the stains lifted too. On the down side, a few areas of the sleeves didn't get fully submerged and show some of the original color. I'm weary of rewashing, though I'm fairly sure no more of the color can come off, the fabric is very old and I'd rather avoid any more washing. Not quite sure how wearable it's even going to be.



Behold bed head! Sleeves are pinned on, hems aren't finished yet, and I need to back up the holes and weak areas. I think I should stick a lining in to help support it; some false juban sleeves for sure; this style of weave, with the loose threads all over the place on the inside, cause me to constantly catch the threads.

No comments: